Ways to Get Rid of Hickey / Love Bite
Hickeys are kiss marks that are typically caused by aggressive kissing, biting or sucking on soft skin. It’s usually found around the neck or arm. Now the issue is that the end result of bruising or reddening of the skin tends to be a source of embarrassment to the affected person. You should know that the body has different types of blood vessels that help transport blood around. So, when someone sucks aggressively on the soft skin, they can inadvertently cause the capillaries beneath the surface to rupture and cause the blood to spill and pools into the surrounding tissue. The blood collected under the skin is red at first but tends to turn dark purple over time.
Well, that’s all there is it know about hickeys. The big question now is how you can remove or perhaps, hide a hickey? In this post, we’re going to look at different methods that can help stop the blood from forming a red mass on your skin as well as how to get rid of the blood that has already clotted beneath the kiss mark.
Home Remedies To Cure Hickeys / Love Bite
1. Give the Affected Spot a Cold Touch:
This method should be used as soon as you receive the hickey. As I mentioned earlier, when you get a hickey, blood flowing from the area spills out through ruptured blood vessels and clots underneath the skin. So, one sure way to stop blood flow and decrease the size of the hickey is by making the affected area cold. Here are some quick and easy ways to give the affected area a nice little chill:
• Get ice and wrap it in a paper towel and place it on the hickey. Be sure to press firmly and gently move the ice around the surface of the hickey as well as the areas just around it. Try to leave it on the affected area for about twenty minutes and then take a break for twenty minutes before reapplying the ice on the area. Repeat this process as much as possible for the first day.
• You can use cold spoons on the affected area. This is a very common method that’s used to remove hickeys. Just get several metal spoons and place them in a freezer for at least fifteen minutes. Now take the spoon and rub it against the hickey. Once the first spoon is no longer cold, place it back in the freezer and get another one. Repeat the process for at least twenty minutes for best results.
Note: Don’t ever place ice directly on your skin. Be sure to use an ice pack or put something between the ice and your skin. All in all, the cold method is one of the best ways to get rid of hickey.
2. Heat it Up:
This method should be used for hickeys that are pretty hard to remove. This could be the ones that have stuck around for at least 48 hours.
• Just place a towel in hot water.
• Now, properly wring out the towel and apply it on the affected area for a few minutes.
• Be sure to reheat the cloth in case it gets cold. Just make sure the towel is not too hot.
This method works because the heat from the cloth increase blood flow to the region and this helps to quicken reabsorption of blood and clears up the hickey.
In case you do not want to use a towel, you can opt for a reusable heat patch. The good thing is that they’re very easy to use and retain heat for longer.
3. Use Banana Peels:
You can also use your favourite fruit to get rid of that annoying hickey. Banana peels have natural soothing and cooling properties that can help clear up your hickey as soon as possible. Here’s how to go about it:
• Get a ripe banana and cut a fresh peel from the same. Ensure that the peel is roughly the same size as your hickey.
• Now place the inner part of the banana peel on the affected area and let it rest for ten to thirty minutes.
Just be sure to do this two to three times daily for best results.
4. Apply Aloe Vera:
For starters, Aloe Vera is a natural moisturizer that’s sure to help reduce the sensitivity of the affected region. Moreover, the natural soothing and anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera will help the ruptured capillaries beneath your skin to heal faster.
• Get aloe vera plant and extract its fresh gel. Now massage the same into the love bite. Be sure to do this two to three times daily.
• In case you do not have the plant at home, you can get an aloe vera based cream or lotion and apply the same on the affected area two to three times. Do this for two to three days.
5. Use Rubbing Alcohol:
Applying rubbing alcohol on the hickey is also an excellent way to get rid of it fast. This is especially true if only a few hours have passed since you got the kiss mark. How? Well, it’s only because rubbing alcohol has disinfectant and soothing properties that can help get rid of hickey fast.
• Use a cotton ball to apply rubbing alcohol to the affected region.
• Now rub the area mildly for a couple of minutes. This will help reduce any discomfort.
• Be sure to apply some moisturizing lotion on the area once you’re done. Doing this will prevent your skin from drying out.
• Repeat the process several times daily for about one to two days.
Be sure to give this hickey treatment a shot because it actually works!
6. Vitamin K:
Vitamin K is naturally enriched with excellent coagulation properties which can help treat bruises. This nutrient helps with the reabsorption of blood which in turn aids hickey removal.
• You can apply any cream enriched with Vitamin K on the affected area two to three times daily. Doing this will help remove the bruise.
• Also, be sure to consume foods rich in Vitamin K including brown rice, broccoli, and soybean oil. Eating these foods for a few days is sure to speed up the healing process.
7. The Coin Method:
For starters, this method can be a slightly painful, but it also goes a long way to get rid of your hickey.
• Get a coin; this could be a nickel, penny, quarter, rupee or euro. Any coin would do!
• Use two fingers to pull back either side of the affected region and stretch it flat.
• Now use the edge of the coin to literally scrape the hickey away. Be sure to scrape away from the centre of the hickey. Never scrape the center of the hickey; in essence, make sure you scrape outward.
• This method may lead to reddening of your skin, but it’ll return to normal after a couple of minutes.
8. Use a Toothbrush or Comb:
This is yet another technique you can use it get rid of that hickey! I recommend you use a new toothbrush for this method. Brushing the affected area help break up and stimulate the circulation of blood, making it easier for your body to get rid of the hickey.
• Use a stiff-bristled toothbrush to brush the hickey. Try not to apply much pressure while you’re at it as this might worsen the situation.
• After doing this, wait for about fifteen minutes to see the results. It’s important to note that the swelling and redness will spread, but it will be significantly reduced after fifteen minutes.
• Now apply a cold compress to the region for about ten minutes and repeat as necessary.
Note: If you’re lucky, this method may work at first attempt or cause the discoloration to spread a bit. The results solely depend on the severity of your hickey.
9. Try Mint Toothpaste:
You might not know this, but mint toothpaste works as a quick remedy for love bites and bruises because it fades the discoloration and reduces the swelling. According to a site known as What Is Hickey, mint toothpaste that contains peppermint help boost the circulation of blood so the hickey can clear up fast. In fact, using peppermint toothpaste is one of the most trusted love bite cure. Here’s how to get it done:
• Get your regular mint toothpaste and take a small amount.
• Now apply the same to the area with a hickey; this could be the neck, lips or chest.
• You would likely feel a tingling sensation on the skin. Leave it on the area for a couple of minutes until the tingling subsides.
• Clean off the toothpaste with a washcloth dampened with warm water.
Note: This treatment can be repeated few times in a day for best results. It’s however recommended not to overdo it as it can lead to irritation of the skin.
11. Massage Skin with Cocoa Butter:
Cocoa butter which is derived from fatty acids (which consist of oleic, stearic, and palmitic acids) offers countless benefits, especially to the skin and hair. Cocoa butter moisturizes the skin, improve scars and strengthens damaged hair. Since cocoa butter is an excellent source of antioxidants, it can help you win the battle with your hickeys and leave your skin feeling soft and supple. Here’s how to use it:
• For starters, get a warm compress and apply on the hickey. Take a clean washcloth and soak it in warm water. Now wring it out and place it on the kiss mark.
• Now take tiny pieces of raw cocoa butter and apply on the affected region. Gently massage the same on the hickey for about five times ten minutes.
• Be sure to repeat the process four to five times daily for best results.
11. Use Parsley for Quick Removal of Hickeys:
Parsley is popularly known as one of the best and trusted remedies for hickeys thanks to its potent anti-inflammatory properties. It’s also important to note that parsley contains a concentration of Vitamin C.
As most of us know, Vitamin C is enriched with both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. This makes it capable of clearing up hickeys in as little as 24 hours. In essence, once you apply parsley leaves on the affected area, the love bite will be gone in the shortest possible time.
• Get fresh parsley leaves and crush them in a bowl.
• Now apply the crushed leaves on or over the affected region and allow to sit for a couple of minutes.
• Once you’re done, be sure to rinse it off with cold water.
How to Cover or Hide a Hickey
12. Cover it With the Right Shirt:
Putting on a shirt or sweater is one of the easiest and surest ways to keep your kiss mark hidden away from the world. Here are a few things to try regardless of whether you’re a male or female. You could try:
• A turtleneck long-sleeved shirt.
• A turtleneck sweater.
• You can also get a jacket or sweater with a collar that covers your neck. Try not to inconvenience yourself and be sure that you usually wear this kind of clothing, or your friends may figure that you’re actually hiding the hickey.
• Try not to wear a turtleneck in the middle of the summer as this may likely draw more attention to your neck. Girls can still go for tank tops with high collars especially if they’re still fashionable.
• I recommend you wear a top that draws attention away from your neck. How about a shirt with stripes, a funny logo or an unusual zipper? Just be sure to get a top that’s super busy!
13. Hide it With the Right Accessory:
Getting the right accessory can also go a long way to help hide love bite, especially of your shirt, fails to get the job done. Here are some accessories you should try:
• One of the most common accessories you can use it hide your hickey is a scarf. Just be sure that you’re wearing it during the right season, so you won’t end up looking weird.
• You can also drape a sweater across your shoulders. I recommend you give this look a shot only if you’ve tried it before.
• If you really want to hide the hickey, then I suggest you stick a bandage over the hickey and come up with a story. There are quite a lot of stories you can come up with. If you’re a girl, you can say you got burnt while curling your hair, and if you’re a girl, you could say pesky little bug bit you. Just know that making up a story will likely draw attention to you.
• It’s also great to cover your hickey with your hair especially if it’s long. Just be sure that your hair is always in place.
14. Use Makeup:
You can also use makeup to cover hickey, and this is not just for women. Guys can also give it a shot! You can tell your mom, sister or girlfriend to help you out. Here are some recommended steps you can use to hide the bruise with makeup:
• Get a green corrector and apply it to the affected area. Since hickeys are red, using green corrector on it will significantly reduce its visibility.
• You can also mix a yellow concealer together with a skin tone concealer until you get a color that matches your skin tone. Use a makeup brush to apply this mix over the outline of the hickey.
• Be sure to dab the area so the concealer can be evenly spread. Doing this will give you a natural look that blends with the surrounding skin. You can also choose to add some foundation if you want.
Tips on How You Can Hide Hickeys as a Guy
Well, so far we have explored several ways girls can hide their love bites, but how can guys keep their hickeys hidden from the world? As we know, not all men have long hair, and they don’t wear a lot of accessories as ladies. So, I recommend you put a band-aid on the spot and maybe say you cut yourself while shaving or whatever. You can also cover it up with clothes such as collared shirts or sweaters. Moreover, if the hickey is close to your jaw, you could just let your beard do the trick for you!
As you can see, there are quite a number of things you can do to cover those passionate love marks on your neck and shoulders, just be sure that whatever you do doesn’t look weird. One sure thing is that there’s always a perfect way to keep your naughty little adventures hidden from the world. Just be sure to follow all the pieces of advice we just revealed to you, and you’ll be well on your way to hiding your little secret from prying eyes.