Split ends can ruin a good hairstyle, especially when you work closely with other people. And with curly hair, sometimes it’s hard to notice the damaged strands. In technical and medical terms, split ends are called Trichoptilosisandthis is usually caused by excessive or regular use of the hair dryer, and hair treatments that use damaging chemicals. With close inspection, you’ll see some strands that are split into two, usually at the end of hair shaft. But there are also instances where it happens anywhere between the roots and the shaft. It’s quite visible for people who are brunettes or have dark hair color, but it’s also not a rare case for those who have blonde or light hair color.
To solve this unsightly hair problem, here are steps on how to get rid of split ends for curly hair. Like what we do on most problems, we either provide a band-aid solution as a quick fix, or figure out the root cause and then tackle that to solve it. The hair treatment mask below can help seal the split endstemporarily and would require regular use for about a month or so, to fully treat dry and damaged hair.
How to get rid of split ends without cutting your hair
The one and only sure fire solution to remove split ends is to snip the broken part off. When trimming is not an option, or you don’t have access to hair scissors, you can try the following hair fix to remedy the problem.
Egg Yolk Split Ends Treatment:
Create a rejuvenating hair mask with the most common ingredients that you can find in your kitchen. This Egg Yolk Split Ends treatment can help seal the split ends and strengthen hair strands. This also helps smoothen and untangle frizzy curly hair. You’ll need the following:
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Tablespoon of Honey
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Whisk the egg yolk in a clean bowl.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the 1 tablespoon of honey
- Mix and whisk together these ingredients.
Wash and clean hair first before applying this hair mask. Use a soft brush or your fingers to spread out the mixture into the strands and on your scalp to cover the roots. Leave the hair mask for about 30 minutes and then rinse off your hair. To dry hair from water, do not rub hair with towel, simple dab hair with the towel. You can use this egg yolk split ends treatment mask once a week for hair maintenance.
How to trim split ends
The best solution to remove split ends right away, is to trim it. This does not require a trip to the salon or with your stylist, but it’s best if you can invest in a good pair of hair shears.
1. Wear a shoulder cape to prevent the hair from sticking on your skin, shoulders and clothes. If you don’t have one, use a wide piece of cloth or malong for cover, and then wash it afterwards.
2. Examine your hair with a mirror and locate the strands with split ends. Good lighting can help you see the contrast between healthy hair and damaged hair.
3. Hold the hair strands with split ends with your free hand. Spread out the section between your fingers and you should be able to see the bad ends.
4. With the other hand holding the shears, trim perpendicular from the strands.
5. Cut about ¼ inch from the start of the split ends. You’ll know this by the difference in hair color, the split ends tend to lighter due to thinner or broken strands. It helps if you hold up the hair strands against a light or bright background to see the split ends. If you have light hair color, use a darker background with good lighting.
6. Snip on small sections to avoid over trimming.
7. Dust off your shoulders to remove the trimmed hair.
8. Apply leave-on conditioner and spread out from roots to tips using your fingers to keep the strands hydrated and protected.
Depending on the hair damage you see, this might take about an hour to snip out most of the split ends on your hair. If you think your hair needs treatment, have your hairstylist trim the damaged ends and apply a good hair spa treatment that helps rehydrate and rejuvenate the lipids or protein on your hair.